Author Topic: Lightweight Backpacks for The Long Trail  (Read 3936 times)

Rough

• Administrator
    • longtrailpodcast.com
Lightweight Backpacks for The Long Trail
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:57:02 PM »
Backpacks:

Here's where I think design is important of you're hiking on the Long Trail.  You'll encounter plenty of moisture.  In fact you'll be wet a lot.  The backpacks I see carried out west and even on the AT are closed up, which leaves little opportunity for storing or drying out wet stuff (save hanging items from your pack which is OK, except for when you're in dense vegetation).  For the LT, I favor a lightweight (2-3 lbs. empty) pack with plenty of outside mesh pockets.  In these you can store items that can be wet, such as a rain jacket or poncho, camp shoes (Crocs), plastic shovel, platypus water bottle, hammock tarp, etc.  These items are also quickly accessible.  Hipbelt pockets are also handy for your camera, phone, snacks, etc.  Take a look at GoLite, Gregory, Six Moon Designs, ULA, and Granite Gear for these types of lightweight backpacks.  I use the Six Moon Designs Starlite which has a pocket for my Thermarest which allows the pad to also serve as a frame.  SMD has come out with a whole new line for 2014 so I'm not sure this pack is still available.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:01:57 PM by Rough »
Long Trail end-to-end 2003

madtanker

Re: Lightweight Backpacks for The Long Trail
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »
I am currently hiking the Appalachian Trail. I am off for 2 weeks with an injury and will be returning to PA on fathers day to pick up the trail and head North. I am hiking with a program call "Warrior Hike." We are vets and its called walking off the war. The program is awesome and we have donated to us by companies all our gear. I am using a Granite Gear Crown 60 backpack. This pack is the best pack I have ever used in my hiking years and all my years in the military. Its ultra light and takes a beating. Holds plenty of gear and supplies for up to 7 days comfortably for me. I use the bag as a huge stuff sack and all my clothing and sleeping bag are in one waterproof bag. All my other gear gets stuffed along the sides of the water proof bag. My food bag sits on top of the first bag. Everything I need to stay dry in all set and the food bag is waterproof and I can hand it from a bear line at night.

This is my first go around with ultra light hiking and camping and I am loving it.