Longtrailpodcast.com Community Forum
August 20, 2017, 01:20:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Your community forum about Vermont's Long Trail is now open.  Register today and join the discussions!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Freeze Dried  (Read 4753 times)
oldnevada

Shooting Star Shelter, ~ '88?

« on: September 16, 2011, 04:18:48 AM »

Hi, I'm getting worked up about doing my first e2e, southbound. GMNF is closed and I don't want to wait any longer.

Anyone using these freeze dried meals (Mountain House, Backpacker Pantry etc)? They say 2 servings on many, so I figure one is good for lunch and supper, with peanut butter/jam and pita breads, Knorr soups,  dehyd fruits and jerky for the rest.

I used the Mtn Equip COOP reviews to judge best buy for each of the dehyd meals. Would appreciate LT users experiences input.

addendum: would also be nice to travel with some cheese. Any advice would be nice?

thanks! Smiley Gar
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:32:07 AM by oldnevada » Logged
Brisket

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 07:54:09 AM »

I've done the store-bought freeze-dried meals and they will work fine but the sodium intake worked against me.  I dehydrated my own food and created meals.  Dehydrating different proteins & veggies, mixed with rice or pasta allows numerous variations so you don't get bored with your grub. This allowed me to adjust the size of the meal to give me the right amount of fuel for the challenges ahead, whether it be a normal day or a "I wanna go home" day.  Home cooking also eliminates the preservatives and other "goodies" that come in those pre-packed meals.  There are some great sites out there for making your own back-packing meals.  Store bought meals have fueled folks from GA to ME for years and years, so they will work just fine as well.  It all comes down to what you prefer.
A great spread to prepare is "Ultralite Joe's Moose Goo" - 2 parts honey, 2 parts rice flour, 1 part peanut butter.  You can add in some chocolate chips.  Load up a squeeze tube and apply it to your pita bread or burrito shells. AWESOME on the trail and fixes the sweet tooth.  About 1400 calories per tube.  You should get about 3 lunches out of one tube.
Sorry for going on and on...  I'm bored.
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HIKE!  lucky...

-Brisket
oldnevada

Shooting Star Shelter, ~ '88?

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 07:07:48 PM »

Brisket, no, great, thanks a lot for the recipe.!

oldnevada Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: