Longtrailpodcast.com Community Forum
August 20, 2017, 01:14:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Your community forum about Vermont's Long Trail is now open.  Register today and join the discussions!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Take care at Patch's Hollow!  (Read 4640 times)
Brisket

« on: July 04, 2011, 07:50:46 AM »

I took my daughter for a walk from VT 140 to Clarendon Gorge this past Saturday and had a lovely time!  When we dropped into Patch's Hollow, I noticed that it is LOADED with Giant Hogweed! 

***I'm no expert, but I would rather be wrong and suffer the embarrassment of posting a inaccurate statement, than be correct and NOT notify someone of a possible dangerous situation.***

Stay away from this stuff!  It's phototoxic.  It's sap, when exposed to sunlight, can cause burn blisters and result in scars that can last for years.  It get worse if you get it in your eyes...
It's an invasive plant that causes problems everywhere it pops up.

Avoid this stuff!

I've sent a note to the GMC notifying them of the patch at the Patch.
Hike Safe!
Early Bird

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:40:08 PM »

Interesting. I had thought this was cow parsnip, but I am no expert. I first took note of it in 2002 and looked it up in my North American Wildflower's guide. It had caught my attention because of it's size. The giant hogweed not being native, is not in my guide. I noticed this year it had been destroyed; all the plants look dead as if they were being controlled. Perhaps this is why. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: