Author Topic: Availability of Tent platforms at shelters  (Read 6395 times)

ldyhyker

Availability of Tent platforms at shelters
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:45:28 AM »
We were wondering if most shelters have tent platforms near them. If this is not the case, does anyone know which ones do or don't. We are planning a family hike and would prefer to tent camp vs. the shelter if possible.

thanks,

ldyhyker

Rough

• Administrator
    • longtrailpodcast.com
Re: Availability of Tent platforms at shelters
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:20:44 PM »
Most LT shelters have tenting areas (exceptions I can think of are Butler Lodge, Taft Lodge, and Puffer Shelter) although not necessarily tent platforms.  Off the top I can recall platforms at the North Shore Tenting area at Stratton Pond, Griffith Lake Tenting Area, Montclair Glen (1 platform), Hump Brook Tenting Area, Twin Brooks Tenting Area, Bamforth Ridge, Churchill Scott, Cooper Lodge, Taylor, Buchanan, and Little Rock Pond. 

The Green Mountain Club's Long Trail Guide contains information on tenting areas.

Long Trail end-to-end 2003

ldyhyker

Re: Availability of Tent platforms at shelters
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I have seen overflow platforms at a couple of different shelters and I didn't know if this was common place at all shelters or not. We have stayed at Stratton and Griffith lake due to the availability of tent camping and loved it. We are looking to expand a little bit and I wasn't sure if these overflow platforms were common place near other shelters. I'm not sure my children would be up to communal sleeping arrangements in a shelter quite yet  :)