Author Topic: Gear Securement  (Read 6128 times)

Brisket

Gear Securement
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:08:29 PM »
Another Hammock Question:
What do you find is the best way to secure your pack when utilizing a hammock? 
Use your pack cover and strap it to the tree? 
Use some 550 cord and lash it below the hammock between the same trees?
Find a way to have it in the hammock with you?
What do you prefer?

Thanks!

Rough

• Administrator
    • longtrailpodcast.com
Re: Gear Securement
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:41:09 PM »
What do you find is the best way to secure your pack when utilizing a hammock?  

I empty my backpack and stow items in my four Clark Jungle Hammock pockets.  Then I put the pack inside my plastic compactor bag that I use for a pack liner, twist the bag closed, secure it with a big rubber band, and then hang it in a tree near my hammock -- usually in a crease between branches. The pack stays dry and it contains nothing of interest to critters.

Long Trail end-to-end 2003

Uly

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:41:54 PM »
There are all sorts of options.  Here are some things people do:

1. Just place the pack on the ground under your hammock.  Some carry a small piece of tyvek to place on the ground to keep things like their pack and shoes dry but some just do without.  Some lay their pack on a pack cover or plastic bag.

2.  Hang your pack off your hammock suspension.  Weight shouldn't be an issue.  Once you have set up your hammock, tarp, underquilt, and top quilt Your pack should should be pretty light.

3.  Hang your pack from one of the trees you are hanging from.  Some people cover the pack with a plastic bag or a pack cover.

4.  Depending on the type of pack you use some just keep it under their feet in the hammock.

5.  Or you could use one of these gear hammock/pack covers from Jacks are Better  http://www.jacksrbetter.com/JGHPC.htm

Just try different things and find what works for you.  It takes different strokes to rule the world.

Good luck

-Ulysses

Brisket

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »
Great Ideas!!
Thanks for the help!