Author Topic: Bag vs. Quilt  (Read 6832 times)

Brisket

Bag vs. Quilt
« on: April 15, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »
When the temps are above 40, what do you prefer to utilize for sleeping warmth, a bag or quilt?
I'm contemplating cutting the weight of my pack down some and I'm thinking of using a quilt.  I'll be using my hammock with a Z-Lite pad.  What do you think?

Rough

• Administrator
    • longtrailpodcast.com
Re: Bag vs. Quilt
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:02:54 AM »
I do almost all of my Long Trail overnights in plus-40 weather (June thru September) and I use my hammock,  3/4 Z-rest pad with a synthetic sleeping bag.  There were some nights when it was too warm for the bag so I slept on top but the vast majority had me in the bag.  During the summer months the nights always tend to be damp.
Long Trail end-to-end 2003

Uly

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 08:57:21 PM »
I am a hammock camper myself.  So I use a quilt year round.  On the occasion that I do use a tent I still prefer the quilt.  I guess I have just gotten used to it.  In a bag the part you are laying on ends up compressed and doesn't offer ant insulation anyway So I just assume not carry the extra weight.

Brisket

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:14:47 AM »
I'm planning on utilizing a military Poncho liner as my quilt.  Lite weight and incredibly warm.  Coupled with my sleeping pad, it should work very well and save me a couple pounds and room in my pack.  Thanks all!

pedxing

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:51:23 AM »
I prefer a full zip bag that can be used as a quilt.  When the temps take an unexpected dip, its nice to be able to zip in.  I love my Western Mountaineering Caribou (21 ounces, 35 degree rating).  I've had it for 7 years or so, not sure how it compares to alternatives that have come on the market more recently.