Author Topic: Esbit stoves  (Read 5863 times)

Brisket

Esbit stoves
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:38:32 AM »
I'm thinking of supplementing my cooking gear with an Esbit stove.  I utilize a MSR Whisperlite now, but I'm interested in the weight and size benefits of the smaller Esbit vs. the MSR while on longer trips.  Anyone have any issues with the Esbit aside from the longer boil times?

Brisket

Re: Esbit stoves
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:50:05 AM »
C'mon, 182 of you have read this....   I'm sure one of you has used an Esbit before.  What do you think??  Did you like it?  Was it sufficient?  I'm using a MSR that's about as hot as the sun, so I don't think I'll be using it for gentle cooking. 
Don't be shy, type!  Responding doesn't make you look silly, just look at me!...  Well, maybe that's not such a good example but you get the idea!
Thanks!

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:07:53 AM »
Esbit was OK for boiling water although it does leave the pot bottom quite dirty. The smell is something you have to get used to.  I don't see many Whisperlites out on the AT anymore. Thruhikers love their alcohol stoves.

I use a cannister stove. It gets my water quickly up to a boil. Only downside is knowing when the cannister is almost empty.

Brisket

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:03:58 AM »
Thanks Jeff!