Author Topic: Hammock Camping on the Long Trail  (Read 18175 times)

Rough

• Administrator
    • longtrailpodcast.com
Hammock Camping on the Long Trail
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:18:53 PM »
When my wife and I hiked end-to-end we tented as much as possible and when we couldn't find a suitable spot we stayed in the shelters.

Since 2005 we switched to hammocks, preferring the easy setup, comfort, freedom from ground obstacles, and consistency of comfort.  Most of my subsequent LT backpacking has been on the so-called "northern" section of the trail, from roughly Route 4 to the Canadian border.  So far, I have "hung" overnight at the following shelters and areas:

Churchill Scott
Tucker-Johnson
Rolston Rest
David Logan
Sucker Brook
Boyce
Battell Mountain tenting area (near Skyline Lodge)
Emily Proctor
Cooley Glen
Birch Glen
Cowles Cove
Montclair Glen
Hump Brook tenting area (near Montclair Glen)
Bamforth Ridge
Buchanan
Bear Hollow
RoundTop
Corliss
Tillotson
Hazen's
Jay Camp
Laura Woodward
Shooting Star

Based on my surveys, the following shelter areas should also accommodate a hammock without a problem:

Sunrise
Battell
Taylor
Twin Brooks tenting area
Sterling Pond
Spruce Ledge
Journey's End

Finally, the following shelter areas are challenging and may require finding spots a distance away:

Cooper
Glen Ellen (there is a no tenting sign there)
Theron Dean
Duck Brook
Puffer
Butler (there is a no tenting sign there)
Taft
Whiteface

What are other other folks' experiences sleeping in a hammock on the Long Trail?  Has anyone camped off-trail away from the shelter areas?  Any favorite spots?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:42:10 PM by Rough »
Long Trail end-to-end 2003

Brisket

Re: Hammock Camping on the Long Trail
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:52:27 PM »
I just purchased my Hennessy Hammock aand have been practicing my knots and lashings in my den for the last week.  I plan on taking it out on East Mountain this weekend to see how comfortable it is.  I utilized a Eureka Backcountry 1 tent last year, and after hiking 15 miles, my large frame didn't feel that great sleeping on that hidden rock under my tent.  Looking forward to sleeping off the ground this year!

pedxing

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:40:50 PM »
I carried a hammock for three E2E trips and never had a problem finding a place to set it up.   I think it took about 10 minutes walking to find a place.  Elsewhere, I have found myself in an area where I had to set up my hammock as a bivy.  I did a crummy job, but as the weather wasn't too bad, I didn't suffer for it.

Sgt Rock - an avid backpacker has lots of great hammock ideas. Here is his bivy set up for the hammock:

http://www.hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock2.html#Tip 3

Uly

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »
Thanks for that info.  I plan on end-to-ending this summer with my hammock.  I find that the hammock gives me more options when it comes to places to make camp.  If any of you are interested I would recommend hammockforums.net.  There is a ton of great information and innovation there.  I am sure there are people there that have done the LT and could answer some questions.

Fox

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »
I have a Clark that I use when I hike. I've never had a problem finding a suitable sight for hanging - the woods are full of them. ;)
I usually stop and prep a meal at a shelter and then head on down the trail for a bit. I do much as pedxing does and just stroll off trail when I'm ready to call it a day.

Probably the best feature of hammock hiking is the ability to avoid populated or frequented areas.

Niloc

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 11:57:52 PM »
Same as others above.  I use a hammock all the time and I have never had an issue finding a place to setup.  When I did my E2E hike last year I enjoyed being away from shelters some nights and having the ability to easy setup camp and stop anywhere I wanted.  Plus not having a sore back is a huge plus!

awagner109

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 03:09:12 PM »
I also got a Hennessey hammock and can now wait to try it out on the trail. ;D